Who is Sabir Nazar?
- Sabir Nazar has contracts with several publications as a cartoonist.
- He draws for Express Tribune, The Friday Times and Newsweek Pakistan.
Why is he being Criticized?
- After proofs of corruption by Pakistan’s Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif emerged, Sabir Nazar has been regularly drawing cartoons in his defence.
- Recently Sabir Nazar released a cartoon depicting democracy as a woman.
- The cartoon drew widespread criticism by women rights activists for being misogynistic.
- Maria Memon is a CNN Fellow who currently hosts a talk show on ARY News.
- She termed the cartoon to be in extremely poor taste.
- Saadia Afzaal is a leading anchor of 92 News channel.
- She criticized the cartoon as “absolute rubbish”.
- She also termed it trivilization of gang-rape to glorify PML-N, the political party of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
- Shad Begum is a recipient of IWOC Award (USA) and the Executive Director at “Association for Behavior and Knowledge Transformation”.
- She regarded the depiction as inappropriate.
- Aisha Mukhtar is a human rights activist.
- She criticized Sabir Nazar for his sexist and misogynist depiction.
Ali Salman Alvi:
- Ali Salman Alvi is a columnist and broadcast journalist.
- He censured Sabir Nazar for trivialising rape as an expression of art.