- Geo/Jang group is employing several methods of maligning the outgoing Army chief.
- The media group is also making appointment of next Army chief controversial.
Publishing Controversial Captions:
- The following captions in Jang and The News editions of 23 November 2016 throw light on the media group’s intent.
Accusation of Lobbying:
- Geo News anchor Talat Hussain accused lobbying over the appointment of next Army Chief.
- Meanwhile he has not substantiated his claim.
- He also faces threat of legal action if he fails to prove his claim.
Playing the Ethnic Card:
- Ahmed Noorani is another Jang group journalist.
- He played the ethnic card to make the appointment controversial.
Why Jang Group is Doing This:
- Jang group has a history of creating civil-military divide in Pakistan.
- Aim of the media house is to alienate the military and provide roadblocks in performing its constitutional obligations.
- In May 2014, the group accused ISI Chief of making an attempt on the life of Hamid Mir.
- In May 2016, Shaheen Sehbai resigned as group editor of The News, saying that the media group’s policy is leading towards a civil-military clash.
- It has now been established beyond doubt that Geo Jang group is an anti-state subversive media empire.
Azhar Ayaz is an independent investigative blogger and media enthusiast.